ALANZ Symposium 2020
Conference Theme: Teaching to the Times.
We are pleased to announce that our keynote speaker is Dr. Minh Nguyen who has recently joined the Otago Applied Linguistics Team. She will talk on her latest research initiative, a longitudinal study of five multilingual immigrant families, drawing on conversational and interview data.
“It’s time to talk: Family language policy and heritage language maintenance.”
We invite abstracts from members and non-members of ALANZ and in particular from new and emerging researchers. Those who are not able to travel can submit and access virtual presentations. The plenary sessions (keynote, focused presentations) will be live-streamed.
- Presentations: The standard 20-minute presentation type, followed by five minutes for questions.
- Focused presentations: These shorter 10-minute presentations will be
presented in a 50-minute plenary session, guided by a facilitator. Preference will be given to innovative and thought-provoking perspectives.
- Virtual presentations: Those not able to attend in person can send a 5-10
minute video or multimodal presentation, which will be uploaded on the ALANZ webpage and made available to symposium attendees.
- Printed posters: Poster presentations will be displayed in the foyer of the
Please submit your abstract (max. 250 words), including your preferred presentation type to:
Carrie Ankerstein email@example.com
- Abstracts are due by 1st September.
- Notifications of acceptance will be sent out 1st October. Registration opens 1st November.
- The symposium will be preceded by a social event on Friday evening (27 November)
Call for papers (pdf): ALANZ SYMPOSIUM Call for papers 2020
Conference registration is now open
Registration is free for ALANZ members (to join ALANZ go to www.alanz.org.nz)
Non-member students: $40
We have negotiated a new conference rate with Arana Hall, since St Margaret’s College is no longer available. Here is the link: https://www.otago.ac.nz/arana/conferences/ Single rooms with shared bathrooms are $75. They have added a day before and a few days later, in case people want to stay a bit longer.